How ready is America to face the challeneges of the future?
That’s the question CBS News will answer starting this week along with USA TODAY in a special series called “Where America Stands.” The series of CBS REPORTS will focus on problems like major social issues, health care, jobs and national security.
The two journalism giants previously teamed up for the successful and critically acclaimed 2009 “CBS REPORTS: Children of the Recession.”
Here’s a quick look at some of the stories planned as part of this first week of reports:
- CBS NEWS POLL: Results from a CBS News poll of Americans’ views and attitudes on how the United States is faring on major societal issues will be released.
- KATIE COURIC: Cancer research, treatment and care – Who are the leaders and what is on the horizon? How far have we really come in the War on Cancer?
- ANTHONY MASON: Where is the next generation of jobs going to come from? How do we recover from 10%+ unemployment?
- LARA LOGAN: Where are the next terrorists training and coming from? How prepared are we to deal with terrorism since 9/11?
- SETH DOANE: The “leaning” of America – How are we going to fight obesity? How do we “lean” our population and especially our children?
Future stories will focus on Aging, Crime and Punishment, Education, Environment, Family, Finances, Global Competitiveness, Healthcare, Housing, Immigration, Infrastructure, International Politics and Diplomacy, Manufacturing and Trade, Medical Challenges and Advances, National Debt, Religion and Spirituality, Security and Defense, Technology, and many more.
The reports will appear across several different CBS News programs, including CBS EVENING NEWS WITH KATIE COURIC, FACE THE NATION, SUNDAY MORNING, THE EARLY SHOW, the Saturday edition of THE EARLY SHOW, CBS EVENING NEWS Weekend Editions, CBS RADIO NEWS and CBSNews.com.
Additional stories will appear in USA TODAY and other Gannett newspapers across the nation.
Watch for the premiere installment during Tuesday night’s CBS EVENING NEWS WITH KATIE COURIC.