CBS has just announced that it will air a special honoring megastar Michael Jackson on Tuesday.
The special, MICHAEL JACKSON: PICKING UP THE PIECES, will air at 10:00pm in place of the previously-scheduled episode 48 HOURS MYSTERY.
Five key parts of Jackson’s life and death will be explored in the special:
1. THE INVESTIGATION – Were there medical mistakes that may have contributed to Michael’s death? We’ll also take a look at the family issues that might be at play including the second autopsy they have requested. What do they think they’ll find? We’ll also include memorial plans.
2. THE BLACK EXPERIENCE – We’ll examine the lingering questions over Jackson’s physical transformations. . . what it meant for him to be Black and to be accepted by his peers and the music community.
3. THE CHILDREN – An in depth look at the battle over the kids. Who will get custody of Michael’s children?
4. SHOW ME THE MONEY – How much did Michael really make and how much did he lose? We’ll take a look at his experience of living the life of excess
5. THE LIVING LEGACY – We’ll take a look at the artists and the musical genres he influenced.
Katie Couric will anchor the broadcast from New York. CBS correspondents Bill Whitaker, Harold Dow and Peter Van Sant, along with The Insider’s Lara Spencer, MTV’s Tim Cash and ET’s Kevin Frazier will contribute to the special report.
Jackson, known as the King of Pop to fans around the globe, died on Thursday at age 50.